Government Ayurvedic Hospital Jammu was established in the year 1962 along with Govt. Ayurvedic College Jammu.While the College was closed in the year 1981 but the hospital continues functioning near Indira Chowk behind SMGS Hospital Jammu. It is the only Government Ayurvedic Hospital of J&K state.
Ayurvedic Hospital, Jammu is a 25 bedded hospital functioning in a double storied building having OPD block ,kshar sutra unit, Yoga unit,MCH unit ,X-ray unit ,ECG unit ,and pathological laboratory on the ground floor.The male and female wards and the panchkarma unit are in first floor of the building.
Honb’le Minister for Health and Family welfare recently sanctioned a new block for OPD and the building is under construction just adjacent to the present hospital building
Treatment facilities :-
Diagnostic facilities :-
Sanctioned staff strength :-
|S.No.||Name of Post||No. of Post|
The hospital is caters to the health needs of around 50,000 patients in OPD annually for multiple diseases,around 1000 patients are admitted in the indoor wards and treated annually for chronic diseases.
About 3500 patients are given treatment through Panchkarma procedures.
About four thousand patients get treatment in kshar sutra unit for piles and anorectal diseases. This hospital is also having yoga unit for different psychosomatic problems due to stressful life style.About five thousand patients are getting the benefit of this therapy through asana and meditation annually.
More over under the outreach programme of the hospital, camps are organized in far flung areas to educate and treat the patient at their door step through Ayurvedic System. About 10000 patients are treated in the camps. Awareness is created among the public to know about the preventive aspect of this scientific system also. The three major types of specialized treatments given in this hospital are elaborated in detail for better understanding of the general public.
Panchkarma is a biodia purificatory procedurewhich has direct relevance to both the healthy as well as the sick person.It eradicates the morbiddoshas from the body. It is used to cure various chronic ailments and also is used as rejuvenating therapy.
The following panchkarma processes are done in the panchakarma unit of this hospital
- Abhyangans(Massage) for arthritis, sandhivaat , neuromuscular disorders etc.
- Nadiswedan :-for arthritis, sandhivaat , neuromuscular disorders etc.
- Vaspaswedan:- for detoxification purposes,arthritis,neuromusculardisorders,etc.
- Patra panda sweda:-forsandhivata, katishool, cervical spondylosis,lumber spondylosis etc.
- Balukaswedan:- for Aamvata.(Rheumatoid arthritis).
- Kati Basti :- for PIVD, lumber spondiylosis etc.
- GrivaBasti:- for Neck region PIVD, cervical spondylosis, osteoarthritis
- JanuBasti:- Used in sandhivata.(U.A.)
- Shirodhara:foranxietydisorders, chronic headache, hypertension, insomnia,psychosomatic disorders etc.
- ShiroBasti :-for facial paralysis, kampvata, various neurological disorders etc.
- Shashtishalipindasweda:-for neuromuscular disorders, chronic rheumatic arthritis etc.
- Pizzichil:- for hemiplegia, arthritis, other neuromuscular disorders and also for rejuvenating therapy.
- Vaman(therapeutic Emesis):-for obesity, acne , Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, psoriasis etc.
- Virechna(therapeutic purgation):- for skin disorders, asthma, kamala, diabetes etc.
Yoga is a part of “SWASTHA VRITA”
Yoga is one of the important subjects of Ayurvedic science. It deals with all types of psychosomatic disorders, life style diseases and preventsindividuals fromgetting diseased through its practice, maintaining balance of doshas in the body.
WHO has adopted the same definition of health which is defined in this ancient subject thousands of year ago.
Differentasanas prescribe in different diseases.
It is specialized surgical treatment in Ayurveda for piles and anorectal diseases .In this surgical procedure a special type of medicated thread called kshar sutra is used .For removal of hemorrhoids/ sentinel piles kshar sutra is tied around the root of the pile mass which ultimately shedsaway by the action of medicine which is coated over thread. Similarly in case of fistula kshar sutra is passed through the canal / track and both ends of the kshar sutra are tied together in such a way that it remains intact in the canal. The kshar sutra is renewed/ changed till the wound is completely healed. In this procedure no antibiotic is used and the hemorrhoid and fistula gets healed up by the action of kshar sutra itself.